Some different types of interviews
Phone interviews gauge your communication skills and are usually an introduction to the company and a chat through your CV.
* Top tip
Ensure you are somewhere quiet with good signal and expect their call and have some basic questions prepared for the interviewer at the end of the call
Online tests are used to test skills ability in areas like writing, maths/analytics and personality. A lot of companies use these. Particularly larger companies and for marketing, analytical and technical roles.
* Top tip
Do your preparation, don’t just jump straight into the test!
Group Interviews are most commonly used when companies are hiring multiple staff. They give you a chance to find out more about the company and the role and will usually include team exercises and sometimes a 1-2-1 interview.
* Top tip
Make sure to be open and engaging in group interviews. Take a leading role yet it is very important to listen to, acknowledge and understand others.
Competency based interviews are fairly “standard”. Prepare thoroughly make sure you know about the role and be ready to answer questions about your CV, skills and scenarios.
* Top tip
It’s all about the preparation!
Top interview questions asked
- Why have you applied to this company?
- What do you know about the company?
- Why this role?
- What are your key skills you can bring to the company?
- Talk me through your CV / Academics / Experience / Extracurricular
The top competency based interview questions
- Tell us about a situation where your communication skills made a difference to a situation?
- Tell us about a time when you felt that conflict or differences were a positive driving force in your organisation. How did handle the conflict to optimise its benefit?
- What big decision did you make recently? How did you go about it?
- Describe a situation where you had to change your approach half-way through a project or task following new input into the project.
- Describe a situation where you were able to influence others on an important issue. What approaches or strategies did you use?
- Tell me about a time when you showed integrity and professionalism.
- Tell us about a situation where you had to get a team to improve its performance. What were the problems and how did you address them?
- Tell us about a situation where things deteriorated quickly. How did you react to recover from that situation?
- Tell us about risks that you have taken in your professional or personal life? How did you go about making your decision?
- Describe a situation in which you were a member of team. What did you do to positively contribute to it?
Top Tips for interviews
- Dress appropriately
Each work place has a different dress code
- Prepare thoroughly
Understand what the company do, who their competitor are, what the role is and why are you interested in it?
- Ask Questions, show an interest
This is key, use this as an opportunity to showcase your research, highlight your interest and make an impression
- A good firm handshake goes a long way